Saturday, February 25, 2012

Craig Fan Fiction? Sure, why not?

So last August a reader of mine started writing comments over at HardballTalk in which he humorously imagined me pondering the great baseball problems of the day thusly:

I have this image of Craig sitting in a high chair in a front of a fireplace, smoking a pipe (not really, the pipe is expelling bubbles) and the man is dressed in a Braves bathrobe thinking intently in front of Chess set with baseball players as figurines (Braves vs Nationals). Caption: “Why do thee always vex me so?”

Soon after that he expanded the idea into one in which I sit in my "lair," which is some mix between the Bat Cave and the headquarters of a Bond supervillain, smoking that bubble pipe and monitoring the entirety of the baseball world via a huge video monitor and, somehow, controlling things and people and stuff.  Oh, and I had a sidekick: my HBT Daily video host Tiffany, about whom I've written before.

Yes, a little strange, I'll grant you that.  Even stranger when he moved the operation out of my comments section and created an entire "Craig's Lair" blog out of it.  Complete with background facts and stuff. And  the"Craig Signal," pictured above.

I can't say that I fully understand the motivation behind it, but the author, Francisco Colemenares, is harmless enough and the posts haven't gotten creepy or anything (I'll admit that when Tiffany was introduced I worried that it would turn ... weird).  Indeed, they often operate as pretty good satire and kind, subtle mockery of the things I write about over at the blog. And they often make me laugh.

This isn't strange, is it? I sort of think it might be strange. But I guess it's OK too.